Sunday, March 8, 2009

Jenny Garth, the first Jimmy experience

I had been with my company for less than 3 months. For some reason I have found that in my career field, there are cliques that run along languistic lines - Chinese speakers tend to congregate among themselves, Arabic speakers, and so on. So for me, a Serbo-Croatian translator, it was difficult to fit in because I am the only one of my kind in the company. The Russians 'adopted' me once they discovered how similar our languages were (and the humor of the situation was certainly not lost on me). So because of this, it was a bit intimidating trying to 'break in' to all these various cliques. But because ODJ's cubicle is literally across from mine, we ended up talking to each other more than I talked to any one 'clique'. My first Jimmyism was at this time.

I was still in the process of getting comfortable at my new position at work, and I just brought in a coffee mug so that I could drink tea. This is something I have picked up from work, as literally EVERYONE drinks tea rather than coffee. But I decided that I wanted a mug that was not bland or boring. Anyway, in the middle of the day, ODJ called me over.

ODJ: Ah, who that girl?
Me: What girl?
ODJ: That girl on your coffee mug?
Me: Oh, that's Garth.
ODJ: Uh, the Jennies Garth?
Me: Hmm, no, that's Garth from Wayne's World.
ODJ: Ohhh.

I did not explain to him that Garth was a man, nor has he ever heard of Wayne's World. But he accepted my explanation without question.



No comments:

Post a Comment